Thursday, March 18, 2010

Member Project: Rich Daughtery's Sewing Center

CAUTION:  IF YOUR WIFE SEWS DO NOT, I REPEAT - DO NOT LET HER SEE THIS!


  Okay, you've been warned.  My wife saw these and really liked it, she is into sewing and makes most of her own clothes.  As woodworkers you know how that goes: "Oh, that's really nice.  Do you think you could make that for me?"  And then, the challenge has been given and we're out in the shop which we enjoy anyway but really; Thanks a lot Rich!
  All kidding aside, this is an especially nice project.  I'm sure many of you woodworkers get satisfaction out of not only working in the shop but if we can improve our house with projects like this it's a win, win situation all around.  Jamie saw these and mentioned the weight and moving around all of that MDF.  These must have been heavy and hard to move around but once the sewing machine, serger, and quilting machine are running to speed I'll bet there's no vibration.

















This picture shows the sewing room before Rich began work.  The next shows the project in it's infancy.  You can see all of the base cabinets he made to get the results he wanted.
 The next step was to bring the base cabinets into the room (hope he has a one story home!) and attach the top. The top is a double layer of 3/4" MDF with an oak banding.









The last two pictures are of the completed project.  I'm sure you'll agree that this was quite the project and turned our really well.  As I recall, Rich told me his wife showed him a picture of a sewing center in a catalog and that's how he got involved.  I know he's not the only one who's been prompted by the catalog price and usually lack of quality to do one better and in my opinion, he surely did!  He sent me many more pictures than I could fit on the blog, the link to those is: http://picasaweb.google.com/kc7zdm/20100316#



1 comment:

  1. It's true, this is every sewing woman's dream come true. And an even easier project would be making her those thread spool pegboards that are all over the walls in the first picture. A lot less work too!

    ReplyDelete